Friday 6 May 2016

Cannulation......

This week I attended a Cannulation study day. We practiced on a sim arm but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot trickier on a real person! I believe being competent in Venepuncture is going to really help. I always go out of my way to take any bloods for my patients rather than waiting for the phlebotomist's as practice makes perfect! 

I've learned to feel for the vein rather than look for one! When I first started taking blood I would panic if I couldn't see a big juicy vein! But now, I take a deep breath and have a good feel.....since taking this approach I have been a lot more successful :) 

So, now I need to practice cannulation! I'm going to adopt the same approach and hopefully I will soon get the hang of it. All these clinical skills really help with being able to manage your patient load effectively.....it can be so time consuming having to wait for someone to take bloods when you need certain results or for someone to cannulate for you when your patient is due IV antibiotics or fluid!

Anyway, weekend off and it's my hubbies 40th birthday party this weekend so I best get back to the chicken goujons and sausage rolls! Enjoy the sunshine everyone! ☀️

No comments:

Post a Comment